7 Ways to Strengthen Your Spiritual Immune System
We are living through a time when the world seems to be in the midst of a spiritual battle, making it essential that we consciously develop a practice of strengthening our spiritual immune systems in addition to boosting our physical immune systems. Think of it as choosing to create a safe harbor for your soul, kind of like supplementing with vitamin C and zinc.
Immune systems are strengthened not by avoiding germs and viruses, but actually by being exposed to them. So, while we want to create a safe harbor for our soul, we want to be able to bring this safe harbor with us wherever we are in the world. Our internal world, when it is tended to with love and attention on a regular basis, will determine how we respond to the external world and how we experience life. And better yet, the stronger our spiritual immune system, the more positive impact we can have on the world around us. Essentially what this means is that by doing the work to keep your soul healthy, you are making the world a better place.
By consciously choosing to protect your inner world, your soul, you take an active role in the course of your life. It takes thoughtfulness and consideration to decide what you want to allow in your body (nutritious foods vs. junk food) and what you will allow in your mind (meditation vs. toxic social media timelines). The more you choose to listen to music that makes you dance, surround yourself with people who make you laugh, go places that fill your heart with wonder, the more you feed your soul with goodness and love, the stronger your immune system will be. These simple choices help you to forgive yourself and others when setbacks happen or mistakes are made. It opens you up to a life of acceptance and humility. It reminds you to have respect for your physical body and mind, and also for the bodies and minds of the people around you. The good news, as we all slog our way through the pandemic, is that when we focus on keeping our body, mind, and soul healthy, all of the systems in our bodies are balanced and fortified.
Here are seven simple things you can do to strengthen your spiritual immune system:
- Pray/meditate – Life is more meaningful when we talk to God. If you’re uncomfortable with the G word, listen to the universe. The point is to make space to tap into your higher self, so you can rise above any tendencies toward unhealthy behaviors and get on a path to self love. By super charging your life with a loving spiritual practice, you give yourself the gift of inner peace and this translates outward. This is especially important for parents to role model for their children. Commit to 5 minutes a day of connecting with the divine and I can promise you will notice a big shift and those around you will as well.
- Walk/yoga – Move your body. When you take a walk or practice yoga, you give your mind a chance to rest and release negative thoughts and emotions. Focus on your breath. Take long, deep inhales to breathe in love, and long, calming exhales to release negative thought patterns that aren’t serving you. If you are short on time, meditate while you walk!
- Sleep/Epsom baths – Sleep is how we restore and replenish our bodies, but it also how we give our minds a chance to reset. Taking a magnesium salt bath with soothing essential oils like lavender before going to sleep with help release toxins in your body, while relaxing your muscles and mind so you get a better night of rest.
- Journal – Write in a stream of consciousness and don’t filter a thing. Just let the words flow for 2-3 minutes. If nothing comes to mind, simply write “nothing is coming to mind” while taking a deep breath and writing about your senses. Are you warm? Does your nose scratch? Might sound silly, but start by writing about it. This will help you to loosen up and get really present, so you can start to tap into the deeper layers. The more you do this, the deeper you will go. It is a simple way to explore your inner world without judgement. And it is remarkably cathartic in terms of releasing thoughts/emotions and making way for peace.
- Diet/nutrition – We all know eating healthy is the best way to care for our bodies, but the reason the foods we choose are so important is because nutritious foods have a higher vibration. They literally feed our soul. Fruits, vegetables, raw nuts, and seeds are from the earth and they bring with them protection for your body, mind, and soul. The healthier your body is, the stronger your physical immune system will be, which has a direct impact on your emotional and spiritual immune systems. During the pandemic, a lot of people have fallen into toxic patterns of eating unhealthy foods, drinking too much alcohol, and being sedentary as a coping mechanism. But the truth is, while we might feel a brief moment of relief after eating a cookie or five, it doesn’t take long before these behaviors make us feel worse. We can all tighten up in the nutrition department, so start with plenty of water and move on to a green smoothie or a salad. When you catch yourself reaching for the boxed foods that have zero life force energy, remind yourself that you are the only one who can take the best care of you. It’s a choice. And when you choose the right foods and drinks, your body, mind, and soul with thank you.
- Crystals – The cool thing about crystals is whether you believe in their healing powers or not, they are beautiful to look at and they make us feel good. Like food, crystals have an energetic frequency. Low vibrations are connected to illness, death, depression, anxiety, etc. On the other hand, high vibrational energy inspires love, laughter, peace, harmony, and the list goes on. Selenite is one crystal that I personal love because it neutralizes energy and increases positive thoughts. There are crystals specifically for psychic protection, such as black tourmaline and black obsidian. The best crystals for a strong spiritual immune system are clear quartz, selenite, aquamarine, and onyx. Carry these stones in your pocket or wear as jewelry, place them under your pillow at night, and/or place them near you when you are working or relaxing.
- Nature – Take a moment every day to let the sun (or moon) shine on your face. Close your eyes, take a deep breath, and let yourself feel gratitude for the miracle of life on this planet. Better yet, take a walk through the forest, go on a hike, or sit under trees in a park while consciously breathing deep and releasing any thoughts that do not serve your greatest good. Spending time in nature is especially important during times of stress because nature reminds us who we are. It keeps us humble and inspires harmony, which is exactly what we need to keep our immune systems strong and healthy.
There are many more things we can do to strengthen our spiritual and physical immune systems, but it all starts with a commitment to honor our souls. Simple steps, steeped on conscious awareness, repeated consistently, help us to create healthy habits and patterns that will ultimately lead us to more meaningful lives that impact our loved ones and the world around us in positive ways. The more we can impact our souls and the world around us in positive ways, the stronger our collective spiritual immune systems will be.